Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Colored "Sand"

Hi everyone, =)

Every time I see that piece of decoration in the cupboard of my living room, it never fails to make me feel so warm inside!

Recalling my polytechnic days, when my friends and I signed up for the Citibank-YMCA Youth for Causes programme... It was a really meaningful programme!

A little background:

"Citi-YMCA Youth for Causes is a community initiative launched by Citi and the YMCA of Singapore since 2002. Funded by Citi Foundation, the programme is a catalyst to promote social entrepreneurship and community leadership development among Singapore youths. It provides youths aged 13 to 35 with seed funding, resources and guidance of selected mentors, to execute sustainable social entrepreneurship ideas and business models that benefit and support Voluntary Welfare Organizations (VWOs) of their choice." (Source: http://www.youthforcauses.com/)

Our business model was simple - to sell as much items as we could to raise funds. We managed to source for cheap food items and gifts.

This is one item that we DIY (Do-it-yourself):



We actually use different colors of chalk to color salt. And then we place them into test tubes. I believe you can use food coloring and sand instead. Sand is more fine than salt. So it all depends on what you are looking for.

I encourage everyone to contribute their parts (big or small) to the Community. There are many people who need our help. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment