Monday, June 30, 2014

SPRUCE @ Phoenix Park, Tanglin Road

Hi to all!

I must say I really miss all my readers and the FUN in WRITING! So I am determined to start writing again! Well.. here is my first post to start my Blog up & running again... I had been busy working and cafe-hopping around quite a bit. I will introduce the lovely cafes to you guys soon. =)

On Saturday afternoon, I visited Spruce at Phoenix Park (directions to Spruce is provided at the end) with my buddies. Who doesn't enjoy the idea of having a good Brunch over a nice cup of roasted coffee on a weekend? Spruce has an added advantage as it is nestled among the trees so having a meal and happily chatting with your friends in the Alfresco area of Spruce provides you the wholesome experience of dining in a Tree House.

Spruce serves Modern American cuisine such as Meatballs, Hot Wings, Salads, Baby Back Ribs, Salmon Steak, Pasta and Desserts with a warm hospitality. Spruce has simply 2 types of Menu - Dining Menu (available all day everyday except during Brunch on weekends and public holidays) and Weekend Brunch Menu (available on weekends and public holidays from 9am till 3.45pm). I really love the idea of the cafe operating everyday.

For those who love Brunch (like me!), here are some of the dishes on the Weekend Brunch Menu:
Egg Benedict, Greek Yoghurt, Banana Hotcakes, Spruce Signature Cinnamon Pecan Roll, Spruce Signature Burger, Spruce Signature Prawn Pasta, Beverages and Desserts.

Here are my reviews (the pictures below are in order of reviews):

1. Cappuccino (My order)
I must say that I am pretty disappointed with this cup of coffee. Some notes of the Cappuccino are off somehow. There is a slightly weird sour backnote. Overall, this cup fails to delight me in any way. But, I must say the coffee art is not bad.

2. Cafe Latte (Friends' order)
Their reviews: The Latte is a disappointment. One of my friends said that she'd tasted better Latte elsewhere.

3. Spruce Egg Benny
Corn Waffles topped with two Poached Eggs (drizzled with Hollandaise Sauce) and Back Bacon with greens at the sides. One key highlight of the usual Egg Benedict dish is how well-prepared the poached eggs are. In this case, I was looking forward to trying the poached eggs and corn waffles.
Again, this dish fails to justify its delish appearance. I tasted better poached eggs but luckily, this is not the worst. As for the corn waffles, there is not a single surprise element at all. I would expect the corn waffles to be slightly crispy but nope, it is not. The corns are not even juicy or sweet. Well! At least, I did enjoy the greens (they are really fresh).

4. Hotcakes
The Hotcakes are not bad. I tasted a light tinge of orangy flavour (which I love). Plus, this side order is value for money, priced at $6.

5. Soft Scrambled Eggs (with Avruga Caviar and Smoked Salmon)
My friend ordered this. I did not try this as I was sick and did not want to dig into her plate.

Having said the above, considering the lovely ambience, friendly customer service and the credentials of the cafe, I may still give the cafe another chance if I am near Tanglin. I will like to give the Spruce Signature Burger a try.












Travelling to Spruce is not tough. Just take bus 111 at the bus stop (B09022) opposite Orchard MRT Station (Exit B) and alight 6 bus stops later at Tanglin Road before Chartsworth Road (B13039). You will have to walk about 2 to 4 minutes forward and then cross the road. You will see something like a campus. Spruce is located in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment